The Graduate Programs in Education Department (G.P.E.D) strives to balance theory with practice by offering appropriate field and hands-on experiences, as well as the highest caliber of academic programs designed to prepare candidates interested in earning their graduate degrees, certificates, and professional educator licensure intended for transformative leaders and teachers in diverse educational settings.
Programs housed within this Department, are designed for candidates who are interested in the:
Special Education Learning Behavioral Specialist – I Master’s Degree Program: for candidates interested in the:
- Initial Certification Program: designed for candidates who are new to the teaching profession and do not possess a teaching certificate;
- Certified Teachers Program: designed for candidates who enter the program with valid teaching certificates, usually in the area of general education at the elementary or secondary level.
Educational Leadership, and Curriculum & Instruction Master’s Degree Program: for candidates interested in the:
- Principal Preparation Program: designed for candidates interested in becoming school principals, assistant principals, and other similarly related positions;
- Higher Education Administration Program: designed for candidates interested in educational administrative and supervisory positions at the middle management level in higher education.
- Curriculum and Instruction Program: designed to provide candidates with extensive preparation in curriculum development, and teaching and learning strategies as part of an overall effort to improve instruction. Options offered within this program consist of:
- Adult Education: designed to prepare candidates who are interested in working with and teaching adults in a variety of contexts and settings.
- Elementary Education: designed for licensed/certified teachers who are interested in acquiring in-depth knowledge and practical skills in the development of pedagogically sound curriculum and instructional programs in elementary education.
- Secondary Education: designed for licensed/certified teachers who are interested in acquiring in-depth knowledge and practical skills in the development of pedagogically sound curriculum and instructional programs in secondary education.
Reflected in both the background of our faculty and the quality of all our programs are the strong grounding in educational theory and research; development of our candidates’ skills in critical thinking and reflective practice; modeling of effective administrative and teaching practices; fostering of sensitivity to diversity in our students; addressing issues prevalent in a pluralistic society; working in partnerships with local educational agencies and organizations; and collaborating with other departments in the university.