Cisco Networking Academy

Organizations around the world are experiencing a shortage of qualified candidates to fill a growing number of networking positions in virtually every industry. Computer Networking is a fast-growing, high- tech field that is targeted to continuous growth. Educational institutions, businesses and industrial concerns increasingly seek highly talented people to install, configure and connect computer and related equipment and to manage these networked connections.

Cisco® Networking Academy® is an innovative global education initiative that delivers information and communication technology skills to help meet this growing demand while improving career and educational opportunities for students around the world.

The Technology and Education Department at Chicago State University was approved as a Local CISCO Networking Academy by CISCO Systems, Inc. in 2001. Since 2002, the department has offered computer networking courses. While the academy is housed in the College of Education, the curriculum is designed for both teachers and for those who wish to pursue careers in business and industry.

The computer networking curriculum (shown on right) comprises of a sequence of four courses. Upon completion of the four-course sequence, trainees qualify to sit for the CISCO Certified Networking Associate (CCNA) examination.

CCNA certification denotes a foundation in, and apprentice knowledge of, networking, CCNA certified professionals install, configure, and operate local area networks, wide area net- works, and dial access services for small net- works.

For Teachers

Teacher training programs in the department comprise one or more networking courses. About 85% of the training in each course is devoted to developing practical networking and configuration skills. The remaining 15% is devoted to developing pedagogical, planning and instructional delivery skills. Upon completion of requirements for the Bachelor of Science Degree, graduates of program in the Department of Technology and Education are Illinois certified teachers, and if they successfully pass CISCO's CCNA examination-they are also Certified Cisco Networking Associates.

For Non-Teachers

The program is also designed for those who wish to pursue careers other than teaching; that is, those who wish to receive college credit for courses and also work toward CCNA certification. These trainees are not required to complete the pedagogical skill development activities required for teachers and teacher trainees. Upon completion of the four-course sequence (shown at right), non-teachers are eligible to take the CCNA examination.

Internships Possibilities

Internship and cooperative education are made for students on an individualized basis. Both paid and non-paid positions are possible.


All academy curriculum is available online and also supported by intensive hands-on exercises using hardware and simulation tools.

Offered Programs

  • CCNA: The first industry recognized certificate in networking.
  • Wireless LAN Fundamentals: This course focuses on the design, installation, configuration, operation, and troubleshooting of 802.11a, 802.11b, and 80211g wireless LANs. A comprehensive overview of wire‐ less technologies, devices, security, design, and best practices with a particular emphasis on real world applications and skills is covered.
  • IT Essentials CompTIA A+ Prep: Provides you with skills necessary for computer technicians and entry‐level IT; prepares for the CompTIA A+ exam.
Academy Curriculum
Course Course Description Term
IT 2220
IT 5220 (Managing and Maintaining Computers)
IT Essentials I and II: Key concepts on managing and maintain computers; technical skills; prepares students to take the A+ Certification.
Prerequisite: None
Fall, Spring, Summer
IT 2233 (Network Config I) Network Fundamentals: Key fundamental networking concepts and technologies.
Prerequisite: None
IT 2333
IT 5333 (Network Config II)
Routing Protocols and Concepts: This course is to develop an understanding of how a router learns about remote net- works and determines the best path to those networks. This course includes both static routing and dynamic routing proto-cols.
Prerequisite: IT 2233
IT 2334
IT 5334 (Network Practicum I)
LAN Switching and Wireless: The goal is to develop an under- standing of how switches are interconnected and configured to provide network access to LAN users. This course also teaches how to integrate wire- less devices into a LAN.
Prerequisite: IT 2333 or IT 5333
Summer I
IT 2344
IT 5344 (Network Practicum II)
Accessing the WAN: This course describes key WAN technology concepts. Also, teaches you how to select the appropriate WAN technology to meet different enterprise business requirements.
Prerequisite: IT 2334 or IT5334
Summer II

Contact Us

Technology and Education Department
Chicago State University
9501 S. King Drive
Chicago, IL 60628
Dr. Moussa Ayyash
IT Program Coordinator
Phone: 773-821-2441
Fax: 773-995-3868