Illinois Department of Public Health Part 694 College Immunization Code specifies that any student registered for six hours or more and born on or after January 1, 1957 who is either a first time freshman, a transfer student, or a student reentering the university after an absence of more than one semester will be required to show proof of immunity:
- Tetanus Diptheria (Td) Booster every 10 years (International students are required to provide dates of any combination of three or more doses of Diptheria and Tetanus (DT) or Tetanus and Diptheria (Td) vaccine, with the most recent dose having been received within 10 years of the term of current enrollment).
- Measles, Mumps, Rubella (MMR) - documentation of 2 live doses of Measles, Mumps and Rubella Virus vaccine or proof of immunity by titer. Titer must include full laboratory parameters.
- Tuberculin skin test (PPD/Mantoux test) is required for residence hall students and some academic majors. If a past TB skin test resulted in a positive reaction, a chest x-ray is required, and a copy of the radiology report bearing your name should be submitted to the Wellness/Health Center.
Evidence of immunity from these diseases is required for United States nationals. A registered health care provider must verify documentation of immunizations and testing. A high school health record with proof of immunizations, if properly noted and certified, is acceptable documentation for residents of Illinois. Individuals who are not properly immunized will not be allowed to register. Proof of proper immunization must be on file prior to registration.
Evidence of tuberculin testing is required for all international and residence hall students, as well as students in programs which require proof of immunizations (e.g., health programs and education).
Students who need to obtain immunizations or information regarding immunizations may contact the Wellness/Health Center or one of the city of Chicago public health clinics. Students residing outside of the city of Chicago should contact the Public Health Clinic for their township or county. Students who fail to comply, will be assessed a $25.00 non-compliance fee.
Students who wish to document that they have met the immunization requirements must complete the immunization form and send it to: Wellness/Health Center, Chicago State University, 9501 King Drive, ADM 131, Chicago, IL 60628. For more information call 773/995-2010.
Other Vaccines Strongly Recommended
Meningococcal Vaccine - Meningococcol bacteria are transmitted through air droplets and direct contact with persons already infected with the disease. One dose is recommended at entry into college for students who wish to reduce their risk of meningococcal disease. Meningitis is a potential life-threatening bacterial infection.
- Hepatitis B series or documented proof of immunity .
- Varicella vaccine or documented proof of immunity.
The Meningococcal Vaccine is available for students. Call the Wellness/Health Center at 773-995-2011 for details.
INSURANCE The basic student health plan for accident and sickness is mandatory for undergraduate and graduate students who enroll for 12 credit hours or more (See Financial Information, Student Health Insurance, for more information).