Frequently Asked Questions

  • What should I bring to the testing lab?
    You should bring your identification, a pencil, a pen, a calculator and positive thinking, well rested mind.
  • What are acceptable forms of identification?
    Acceptable forms of identification include any U.S. state driver's license or identification, current school identification with a picture or passport or card.
  • What is the COMPASS TEST?
    The Compass Math Test is a standardized computer exam that tests your knowledge in Algebra, College Algebra and Trigonometry. The Compass Reading is a multiple-choice test that helps you determine if you have the reading skills you'll need to succeed in standard entry-level college courses. The Compass English/e-Write test consists of a writing prompt that defines an issue or problem and describes two points of view on that issue. Students are asked to respond to a question about their position on the issue described in the prompt.
  • Who has to take the placement/qualifying examination?
    All first time freshmen must take the university diagnostic examinations in English, math, and reading. Transfer students who have not completed an associate's degree (A.A. degree or A.S. degree) must take proficiency examinations in English and Reading. Transfer students who do not transfer in general education math or who are required by their majors to take more math or meet prerequisites must take the proficiency examination in mathematics. See your advisor if you have questions concerning math exam exemption.
  • Why should I take the placement examination?
    Unless you have been exempt, the placement/qualifying examination facilitates your university course placement, can provide course credit and will meet your graduation requirements.
  • How do I prepare for the examinations?
    First, view the COMPASS sample test section on the Examination Office home page to familiarize yourself with the test. View the study guides section on the Examination Office home page. Next, view the free math tutorial online, review a course book, and/or seek tutoring from a subject teacher.
  • What if I need special testing accommodations?
    Students needing any special accommodation in order to fully participate in the exams, should contact the Abilities Office of Disabled Student Services at (773)995-4401.