CTA is providing Ventra U-Pass cards to all U-Pass participating schools with full-time
students. Students will have unlimited access on any CTA bus or train during their
academic term. If you are enrolled as a full-time student and have not received your
Ventra U-Pass card, please visit the Office of the Cashier to inquire about your pre-printed
card (remember to bring your CSU student identification card with you).
Your Ventra U-Pass card privileges become available only after you activate your card.
Please follow the steps below:
- Step 1: Call 1-877-450-5328 to activate your card; this is an automated voice system.
- Step 2: After you activate your card, we recommend you register your card at www.ventrachicago.com. Please note that registering your card is not the same as activating it. Registering
your card gives you access to account management features and more information about
If your Ventra U-Pass card does not work when you attempt to ride the CTA and you
have followed step 1 and 2 listed above, please call the Ventra Service Center at
1-877-NOW-VENTRA for assistance.
- With the new Ventra U-Pass card, you will no longer need to obtain a new card every
- Your Ventra U-Pass card is valid for five years, and your transit account will stay
active when you are not in school. You can add transit value and full fare passes
to the Ventra U-Pass card when school is not in session or when you do not qualify
as a full-time student.
- Be sure to remove your Ventra U-Pass card from your wallet/purse and tap the card
on the Ventra card reader. The Ventra card reader will read the first card it encounters and to prevent other
cards from being charged, please remove your Ventra U-Pass card and tap it on the
- Although U-Pass privileges are only available when classes are in session, you should hold on to
the card and use it as a full fare card between semesters, but you must add value or a full fare pass to the card.
- As long as you are enrolled as a full-time student, your U-Pass privileges will be
loaded onto your card automatically at the beginning of each semester.
- U-Pass privileges are not valid on Pace buses. You must add value or a full fare pass
to your Ventra U-Pass card and pay a full fare to ride Pace buses.
- If your Ventra U-Pass card is lost or stolen, you may request a new card through the
U-Pass Administrator at CSU. You must present your CSU ID and pay a $50 non-refundable
- After you have activated your card and registered it (recommended), if your card
does not work on a CTA Bus or Rail/Pace; then your card may be damaged or defective.
You should first call 1-877-NOW-VENTRA to trouble-shoot the issue.
- If your card is lost, stolen or damaged (due to abuse, misuse, etc.), visit your
school’s U-Pass administrator to complete a report and request a new card. A non-refundable
replacement fee ($50) will be collected for a lost/stolen card.
- If your card is defective, it can be replaced. The first replacement is free, though
subsequent replacements will be billed back to you ($4.97). The defective card must
be returned through your school.
- Full fare passes and transit value for the CTA and Pace can be added online at www.ventrachicago.com or by phone at 1-877-NOW-VENTRA, at Ventra vending machines located at CTA rail stations,
and at all participating Ventra retail locations.