I am excited about the direction in which Chicago State University (CSU) is headed
and feel honored and privileged to lead the charge towards a new and revitalized CSU.
I come to Chicago State University committed to building a dynamic team, developing
and implementing effective objectives and goals, establishing systems to meet the
needs of our students and implementing appropriate strategies for a reformation that
will result in a renaissance of CSU. Increasing enrollment, student retention, and
graduation rates are our top priorities. CSU has a history of adding competitive and
knowledgeable experts to the global workforce. It is our tradition to graduate responsible
effective leaders of social change and citizens ready to contribute to society equipped
with the solid foundation of values and principles taught at CSU.
Ive met and listened carefully to faculty, staff, administrators, students, alumni,
trustees and friends of Chicago State University. The information, insight and conviction
communicated to me helped to outline my vision for Chicago State University. Allow
me to share with you a few vignettes of my vision:
- Chicago State University will excel in establishing a paradigm for students who have
academic capabilities but have financial challenges.
- Chicago State University will have a retention, recruitment and graduation rate that
is both competitive and comparable.
- Chicago State University is a predominantly African American institution and will
continue its commitment to ethnic diversity by enhancing its efforts to ensure access
and opportunity for all students.
- Chicago State University will enhance the economic and workforce development of the
Chicago metropolitan area.
- Chicago State University will continue to expand on its basic and applied research
grounded in social and environmental justice.
- Chicago State University will create an educational atmosphere that has rigor and
discipline in each and every academic program.
- Chicago State University will provide its students with a safe, clean, educationally
conducive campus environment in which to learn.
- Chicago State University will provide 1,000 clean dormitory spaces, conducive to learning
and living as well as make them available to students who are single and to those
who have a family.
- Chicago State University will provide a new natural science building to showcase the
pillars of excellence that we have in biology, chemistry, physics and math.
- Chicago State University will have an athletic program that is competitive and financially
- Chicago State University will be positioned to realize its full educational potential
by a renaissance of spirit. CSU will move forward with a renewed spirit of revitalization.
Now is the time for the Chicago State University Renaissance to begin. We must collectively
bring about this Renaissance by emphasizing strong leadership, shared governance,
building on the strengths of the institution, restoring the integrity of the university
and delivering a high quality educational process and product for our students. CSU
is not just a physical site. It symbolically and collectively represents all the
values, visions, hopes, dreams, spiritual, intellectual, and material culture that
we have created and perpetuated over time as administrators, faculty, students, and
I invite you to visit our beautiful campus and talk with our faculty and students.
I look forward to meeting many of you and hope to see you on campus soon.