FAQ 1098T 
2020 1098-T will be available on January 31, 2021

Starting with tax year 2018, CSU will change how tuition and fees are reported on the 1098-T Tuition Statement. Information on this page pertains to the new reporting method for 2018 tax year and beyond.

1.What is the 1098T from?

Form 1098-T is an informational report of payments received for qualified tuition and fees that a student was billed and scholarship/grants received in a calendar year (Jan. 1st -Dec. 31st) to assist you, the taxpayer, in determining if you are eligible to claim tax credits such as Hope Scholarship Tax Credit or the Lifetime Learning Tax Credit for educational expenses.

Each University must report payments received  for qualified tuition and related expenses within the calendar year (Jan. 1st -Dec. 31st).

2.What is the Hope Scholarship Tax Credit and the Lifetime Learning Tax Credit?

To review information about these two Tax Credit options as a result of the Tax Relief Act of 1997, you may access IRS Publication 970, "Tax Benefits for Education" and visit http://www.irs.gov/uac/Tax-Benefits-for-Education:-Information-Center.

3.When will I receive my 1098T?

The 1098-T tax forms will be available to eligible students on January 31st.

5.What are Payment for Qualified Charges & Expenses?
Qualified charges include tuition and mandatory fees a student is required to pay in order to be enrolled at or attend Chicago State University. The payments presented in box 1 represent all payments received for qualified tuition and fees.  Payments will not exceed the amount of qualified tuition and fees.
6.What are Non-Qualified Charges?

Charges and fees associated with room & board, student activities, athletics, insurance, books, equipment, transportation, and similar personal, living or family expenses are not qualified. 

7.Where do I go to view my 1098T online?

To view your 1098T:

  • Log-in to Cougar Connect
  • Click on Student Menu
  • Select Tax Notification and Enter Tax Year 
8.Where can I get a list of payments made to the University?

To view your payments:

  • Log-in to Cougar Connect
  • Click on Student Menu
  • Select Account Summary or View Account by Term 
9.I tried to login into Cougar Connect to view my 1098T and was unsuccessful. Who do I contact for access?
  • Currently enrolled students - need to contact ITD help desk at (773) 995-3963
  • Not currently enrolled students - need to log-in through CSU X-press.
  • If you are still experiencing problems, please contact ITD help desk at (773) 995-3963 
10.Are the amounts in Boxes 1 & 5 of my 1098T provided to the IRS?

Yes. The University reports amounts payments received for qualified tuition and related expenses (box 1), as well as amounts of any scholarships or grants (box 5). 

11.Do I need the 1098T to file my taxes?

No. There is no requirement for the 1098-T to be attached along with your tax return. This document may be kept for your personal records. 

12.Does a student have to file a tax return if he/she received a 1098-T form?

Whether a student has to file a tax return depends on many factors. Please consult a professional tax advisor to determine if filing is necessary. 

13.My address listed on the form 1098T has changed. Will this affect me?

No. The address shown on Form 1098-T is not required for IRS income tax filing purposes.

14.My Social Security Number (SSN) is incorrect on my 1098T. Who do I contact to make the change?

To change your SSN, please stop by the Admissions Office, ADM 200 with your Social Security Card 

15.I took classes in the Spring term of the current tax reporting year, but the charges are not included on my 1098T. Why?

Most likely, you signed up for your Spring term classes before December 31st of the prior tax reporting year. Therefore, the charges would have been reported on last year's 1098T.

16.I need my 1098T for a prior year. Can you provide that?

Yes. To view your prior year 1098T:

  • Log-in to Cougar Connect
  • Click on Student Menu
  • Select Tax Notification and Enter Tax Year 
17.I took a graduate level course, why is there no check mark in box 9 ("graduate student")?

Box 9 will not be checked if you were not enrolled in a graduate degree program, or you were enrolled during the calendar year first as an undergraduate student and then a graduate student.

18.I am a international student, can I claim a credit?
In general, international students cannot claim a credit. However, some international students may be eligible. If you are an international student, the University will not file a 1098-T form on your behalf unless you have an individual taxpayer identification number (ITIN) or SSN on your student record. "Original" SSN or ITIN information must be shown to the Registrar's Office, ADM128 by Nov. 1st of each year. Please review the IRS Forms and Publications for additional guidance.
19.Where can I get my Canadian tax form TL11A completed?

Students can drop off form at the Office of the Bursar (ADM213) or email them to bursars@csu.edu. You must provide an address to return the form when processing is complete. Please allow 2 weeks for processing.

For additional information, please consult the following:

IRS Web site: http://www.irs.gov/uac/Tax-Benefits-for-Education:-Information-Center

Interanl Revenue Service #: (800)-829-1040

Office of the Bursar - ADM 213: (773) 995-2470