Purpose: The Chicago State University Honors College experience is available to all students who are either members or prospective members of the CSU Honors College. With a desire to assist all high achieving students to meet and exceed their educational aspirations, the Honors College has several forms of financial aid available. For more information, complete a Financial Aid Application.
Application Process: Complete the following items listed below and submit one hard copy of the entire application packet to:
Omar Headen, Ph.D., Interim Dean
The Honors College
Chicago State University
Academic Library, Rm. 428
9501 South King Drive
Chicago, IL. 60628-1598
All applicants to the CSU Honors College must meet the following admissions criteria:
- Be an admitted student of Chicago State University
- Meet one (or more) of the following eligibility criteria (for entering freshman)
- hold a composite ACT score of 23 or higher,
- possess a cumulative GPA of 3.5 or higher, and/or
- graduate in the top 10% of your high school class
- Meet the following eligibility criteria (up to first semester sophomores):
- earn a minimum 3.25 cumulative GPA at CSU
- Complete the Honors College Application Form
- Attach copies of all high school (required) and/or CSU transcripts (as applicable)
- Complete the Honors College Financial Aid Application
- Complete the Honors College Checklist
- Complete a 500 word essay/personal statement of interest
- Submit two letters of recommendation from individuals unrelated to you
Personal Statement: As part of the Honors College application process, you must complete a personal statement comprised of no less than 500 words, word count attached. You should explain any significant reason and/or personal experiences that prepared you for consideration in the Chicago State University Honors College as well as your desire and goals you intend to reach as a result. Your personal statement should also illustrate your writing and organizational skills as well as your estimation of your potential for intellectual and personal growth. Significant past accomplishments and important educational goals and career plans would be well worth including.
Letters of Recommendation: Your Honors College Application should include at least two (but no more than three) letters of recommendation from those unrelated individuals who can speak to your community involvement, intellectual abilities and leadership potential. Letters should not come from friends or family members, but from teachers, mentors, or other leaders in the community who know you well.
Application Reminders: Applications are due by July 15 and incomplete applications will not be considered. Please email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Upon receipt, you will receive a letter acknowledging receipt of your application with the results of the admissions process to be determined upon review by the Honors College Admissions Committee within a few weeks. Offers of financial aid (or other awards) will be announced at the Honors College Induction Ceremony during the Fall semester. All admissions and financial aid decisions will be announced in writing and will be final. If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to contact the Honors College Office at (773) 995-3801 or (773) 995-4446. Good luck!