No, you must meet learning standards that require work during the traditional school day. Even if you are placed in a community school, which may have a longer school day, the bulk of your hours will be completed before 3pm and the activities must be those of a traditional school social worker and align to the Illinois State Board of Education Standards.
Schools that serve as practicum sites can be public or private schools within the city of Chicago or suburban locations. Schools should serve a diverse student population, and provide opportunities for learning experiences across grade levels.
Most of the students in the Post MSW Program have several years of experience in social services and are often employed during their educational experience.  Please consider the required field hours in your decision to work and your work schedule.
Please contact the Bursar’s Office at (773) 995-2470 for up-to-date information on tuition charges for the Social Work Department. The Bursar’s Office is located in the Cook Administration Building. Tuition costs are also published in the semester course schedule book which is available on the web.
Yes, up to 30 credits may be transferred if they are “B” or better. The courses must be less than 6 years old at the time of your graduation in a CSWE accredited graduate social work program. Transcripts are necessary for all courses. Please keep in mind that courses can be transferred only in the context of the School’s requirements. No academic credit is given for life experience and previous work experience. Courses that are waived to avoid duplication, may not reduce the number of hours to graduate.

Yes. However, resources are primarily limited to Perkin and Stafford loans. Military scholarships may be available through the office of Veteran's Affairs (SUB 260, (773) 995-2413) and who administers tuition for spouses, children of MIA/POW's and 100% disabled veterans. Most financial aid requires students to have their eligibility determined through the FASA application process. Forms available in the department of the Office of Financial Aid, Cook Building, Room 207).

The Department of Social Work offers an annual $300-$500 award from the Gladys Scott Community Scholarship Fund on a competitive basis.

If the courses were taken as a non-matriculant at another school of social work or graduate level program, student request credit from MSW Program Director at the beginning of their second semester as a matriculated student. Course descriptions and outlines must be included. All decisions regarding transfers are made by the MSW Program Director.

Step One: You must be an MSW student in good standing. To be considered, students must hold a minimum G.P.A. of 3.0 with at least a grade of B in all courses in the Social Work major. 

Step Two: You must complete the brief Concentration Application and the Field Placement Application and submit it to the Department of Social Work no later than December 15th.

Step Three: Obtain two letters of recommendations:

  1. One from your current field instructor, and
  2. A second from a CSU MSW faculty member able to speak to your academic performance.

The following materials must be submitted to complete the application.

Yes, up to six credits may be used to meet elective requirements, if the credits were in related fields, and graduate level courses, and not used toward another degree. Final approval is made by the Program Director. The courses must be less than 6 years old at the time of graduation. Any graduate courses taken at another institution must have prior approval to receive credit in the MSW program.